Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fragile Reputations

No more name calling or gossiping for this girl. I'm pretty sure I made that declaration once in high school, but haven't thought of it much since. It seems like such a juvenile concept, but the reality of adult gossip hit me really hard yesterday. I do a lot of "spreading the news" business because this is such a small town and it makes a person feel powerful and connected. I'll admit that in a lot of instances, it's pure speculation or recycled news (who knows how many times.)
And the tables finally turned on me and I got to hear about it all. It was awful. It wasn't just awful, it was entirely wrong and it made my store and I look very bad to a small but important group of people. It was the stupidest incident made huge because everyone was questioning everyone else's character based on miscommunication and a hint of manipulation. I really want to be unified with other businesses and people in the area and I know that can happen eventually, but I was pushed a step back.
So it's pretty simple. I've got to go to the source, consider the intentions of others and their side of the story, and stop using "news" as a conversation crutch. It hurts too much in the end and I think I needed to be reminded of that.

In other news, St. Augustine found a girlfriend. She's so good looking with her Andy Warhol hairdo.

1 comment:

shaun said...

I hope the past few days have added some goodness to this post.